Senior Backend Engineer
If you've not heard of our client before, their goal is to build THE place to buy and sell tickets to live events all over the world. Their website and mobile applications currently target millions of fans in over 160 countries, 50 languages, and supports almost every currency. Behind this, their distributed platform consists of several applications that communicate with each other via message brokers (like Azure EventHubs and RabbitMQ) and RESTful APIs. The problems they’re solving get really interesting when you're operating at as large a scale as they are, so this makes for a really exciting, and challenging environment.
The client’s backend engineering teams are responsible for building the infrastructure that powers a user's journey from thinking about going to an event, to having the time of their life in front row seats! Some of the challenges they work on include: ingesting and categorizing millions of events across the globe, automated advertising to user's all over the world, processing payments in almost every currency and payment method, integrating with local and global delivery services to get tickets from sellers to buyers. All of these areas pose really interesting challenges when done at scale!
Required Skills & Experience
- The client predominantly utilizes Microsoft technologies, such as Windows, .NET, C# and IIS, however, we’re not afraid to use the right tool for the job. We use RabbitMQ for some of our internal pub/sub messaging, Redis for local caching, and gRPC for high performance out of process calls.
- Their distributed platform consists of several applications that communicate with each other via message brokers (RabbitMQ/Azure EventHubs/SQL Service Broker) and RESTful APIs. Their backend applications are mostly .NET Core 2.2 or .NET 4.7.2 Windows services and ASP.NET Core 2.2 or ASP.NET Web API 2 APIs. At the database layer, they use a set of SQL Server 2017 databases deployed in a high-availability configuration using availability groups. These support everything from high-volume transactions to decision support/telemetry analytics. They’re increasingly taking advantage of the Azure cloud to enable hybrid or cloud-only scenarios that support our global growth, and ability to quickly respond to surges in demand.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Success in this role requires a passion for both technology and using it to solve business challenges. They expect that you've already demonstrated your ability to solve hard problems multiple times already and have consistently been drawn to larger projects with increasing amounts of risk/load/complexity (or similar dimensions). They also know that the only way to gain experience is by having tried and failed multiple times, so they’ll expect you to have plenty of war stories to share with them about the times when it didn't work out quite as planned, and what you learned. You'll also likely be a specialist in one or more areas – working alongside individuals who have extreme depth in areas like SQL Server performance, ASP MVC and Web API, or performant C# code – they'll expect you to bring an additional dimension to their team that you can leverage not only by building exceptional solutions, but also sharing that knowledge to build a better engineering team.
What You Will Be Doing
As a senior backend engineer you'll be expected to work on problems at every stage - from understanding the business challenge to implementing and maintaining production systems. Some sample problems that you might work on in the next few months include:
- Add resilience (circuit breakers, bulk head isolation, etc) to a pipeline of data through several .NET 4.7.2 and .NET Core micro-services which produces millions of requests to Google, Microsoft and Facebook APIs every day
- Design and implement a strategy for moving an architecture of Windows Services running on dedicated servers to a horizontally scalable, Microsoft Azure-based, architecture
- Design an architecture (application-level and data-storage-level) for supporting analytical queries over a large dataset (TBs) and operational queries over a minimal subset of the data
- Competitive Salary: Up to $250K/year, DOE
You will receive the following benefits:
- Medical Insurance & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Paid Sick Time Leave
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis now and in the future.
Workbridge Associates, part of the Motion Recruitment network, provides IT Staffing Solutions (Contract, Contract-to-Hire, and Direct Hire) in major North American markets. Our unique expertise in today’s highest demand tech skill sets, paired with our deep networks and knowledge of our local technology markets, results in an exemplary track record with candidates and clients.