Senior Data Engineer
One of my clients is a large investor in digital innovations to make travel better, people safer and urbanizing cities more comfortable and connected. They are a leader in the digital world of big data and the Internet of Things. They just opened up a Digital Accelerator office in Brooklyn and are looking for Data developers to join this new journey.
They are looking for people who have a passion for analyzing and uncovering digital insights from large, complex streams of data derived from the worlds most advanced aerospace, aviation and building management systems. As a defining and core member of the team, you will be responsible for architecting, designing, and implementing new capabilities across multiple projects. This Data Engineering opportunity will be a focal point for understanding data from the corporate perspective as well as representing the data effectively so that it can be understood uniformly throughout the company. This role will also work closely with the engineering, design, operations, marketing and service delivery teams.
This position will provide the unique opportunity to operate in a start-up-like environment within a Fortune 50 company. Together we aim to achieve new levels of productivity by changing the way we work and identifying new sources of growth for our customers.
- Architect, design, deliver, test, and troubleshoot complex data implementations from scratch
- Working alongside software engineers and data scientists to improve data strategy, quality and governance
- Lead multiple strategic programs around data as a key asset driving products, platforms, architecture and organization
- Leads major data driven technology innovation initiatives & business transformation around key strategic business drivers
- Responsible for reviewing old legacy systems and plan, design, and execute new design plans and initiatives
Required Skills & Experience
- 7+ years of direct responsibility for Data services and leading large enterprise and mission critical programs, expertise in enterprise Information and Data Architecture Practice, standards and strategies
- 7+ years of experience developing data strategy for large scale enterprise, data architecture, and business process models
- Cloud experience - private/hybrid/public, big data, stream analytics experience (Hadoop, Spark, Kafka)
- Ability to assess cloud architecture framework which both optimizes performance and minimizes costs based on array of customer use cases
- Thorough understanding of the nuances between VM hardware (ie, AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of tools, technologies, approaches and choices to best build a data platform from grounds up
- Experience working with a supporting a team of data scientists
- Knowledge of architecture patterns and practices, both in general and within the IoT stack
- Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc.)
- Expertise related to data persistence (i.e. File Storage, RDBMS, NoSQL, sharding, clustering, cache management)
- Experience in processing data streams, data security and validation a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with the ability to well work in cross functional teams
- Motivated self-starter with a strong enthusiasm to learn
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.