This major company in the insurance industry is looking for a Data Engineer to join their growing team in the loop downtown. This position is responsible for using exploratory data analysis to provide innovative solutions to complex problems. Candidate will be working with business partners to understand what the business needs and issues are to address. Candidate will be applying advanced knowledge of statistics, machine learning, programming, data modeling, simulation, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, pose business questions, and make valuable discoveries to meet a variety of business challenges. Candidate will support data sourcing and streaming/ingesting from a variety of data sources. Candidate will build large, multi-sourced databases, including associated meta-data. This role will also include deploying different data access solutions to this company's customers.
This candidate will be joining a brand new office as well as a small but growing team of Data Scientists, Data Engineers, and Full Stack developers. Candidates with stronger open source programming and computer science backgrounds will be looked upon most favorably. This role is with the external Data Science team for the company as they will be working on all consumer products/tools. This office is separate from the headquarter office to really bring out and allow for an agile startup environment.
Required Skills & Experience
- Experience with Big Data/Hadoop experience especially if any of it is with unstructured data sources with imagery and or text
- Experience using analytically oriented languages like Python, Scala, C, and or Java
- Demonstrated experience working with large, complex datasets using big data technologies and languages
- Master’s or PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Computer Science, or related field
- Experience with data processing (Spark, Stanford CoreNLP, genism)
Desired Skills & Experience
- Ability to work as part of a team and to communicate effectively
- Experience working in a cross-functional, agile, collaborative environment
Benefits & Perks
As a contractor you will receive the following benefits:
- Medical Insurance & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Paid Sick Time Leave
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit